crushes of the moment:
– roasted yam, taste of maple, whole peppercorns, savory oatmeal for breakfast because it reminds me of congee (i make mine with garlic powder, rosemary, and a soft-cooked egg with (yes) sriracha on top), jalapeño in everything to evoke warmth of some kind
– I hate walking through Williamsburg, because I start to covet jewelry and really cute home furnishings that I will never buy. like Catbird. A&G Merch (their candles though!). Mociun. I know, how original of me. Thanks, Brooklyn hipsters.
– Justin Schwartz (aka justcooknyc) posted on Instagram about Cathy Erway’s new book, The Food of Taiwan (arriving March 24th). I almost fell out of my subway seat in excitement.
– Oh god, Cafe Silan (which is so new it doesn’t have a website or sign yet, but I tried to help them out) is adorable. The owner whispered that they are planning to serve housemade espresso bbq pulled chicken. Also, he said the words “homemade chipotle hummus.” I stared into the deep brown eyes of that man and wondered why I always fall in love with men who talk to me about and feed me good food. Let’s not start comparing me to dogs just yet, please. A friend asked, “How are you in touch with so much deliciousness?” and my answer, “Some gods decided to even out the unbalanced misfortunes I tend to experience in life with incredible deliciousness. I can hardly complain.”
– I was doing some “work research” and even for someone who doesn’t really drink coffee, some of these quotes about coffee are pretty great.
– Succulents. I was gifted my first plant in NYC, and I would love to have plants line my windows. Although based on historical evidence, they would die a cruel death when entrusted to me- so I am torn about this desire.
– Murakami’s Hard Boiled Wonderland
– Shantaram. I managed to stretch this book out for as long as possible.
– I am so sad that my copy of Jack Gilbert’s The Great Fires is sitting on my bedside table in Texas, and not here.
– Lamott’s Bird by Bird.I devoured this.
– Currently,The Magus, re-reading Ender’s Game, How Proust Can Change Your Life, Mary Szybist’s Incarnadine: Poems.
and music! some stuff for working out, all you resolution-ers… gratuitous and guilty pleasure stuff included.
– Flo Rida ft. Sage the Gemini, Lookas- GDFR
– Nicki Minaj, Beyonce- Feeling Myself
– Santigold- The Riot’s Gone
– Kendrick Lamar- i
– Kanye West- POWER
– 2 Chainz, Wiz Khalifa- We Own It
– Panic! At the Disco- This is Gospel
– Lecrae ft. Crystal Nicole- Give In (actually, I’m kind of digging many songs from Anomaly)
– DJ Khaled, Kanye West, Rick Ross- I Wish You Would
– J. Cole- Miss America
– Jason Derulo- Trumpets (yes, still. do squats to this. you’re welcome)
– Kid Ink- Blunted
– I LOVE MAKONNEN, Drake- Tuesday
– Iggy Azalea- Black Widow (yeah, make fun, but I kinda start dropping it when I hear this)
– Juicy J, Wale, Trey Songz- Bounce It
– Yo Gotti, T.I.- King Sh$
– 50 Cent, Eminem, Adam Levine- My Life