I’ve been compiling a list of things we can do together while living apart. I’ll keep this updated! Stay safe, miss you, but there are lots of ways we can keep socializing while maintaining a healthy distance. These are just a few of the things I’m trying.
Virtual Social Activity and Work Ideas
- Regular on-nomi (digital happy hours with friends)
- Weekly virtual TED Women in Tech happy hours on BlueJeans/Zoom (h/t Claire)
- Virtual Pomodoro sprints with Superorganizers on Zoom (h/t Dan Shipper)
- From tinyletter writers: We’re All Stuck At Home But We Can Still Be Brilliant – a Google Sheets collection of personal projects that can be done at home
- Virtual book clubs – one method is Book Club by Numlock, but lots of fun manual ways to do this too!
- Play Codenames board game – free online – Codenames Green
- Netflix Party Chrome Browser Extention to watch Netflix with friends Netflix Party
- Create a Slack private instance for asynchronous group chatting with friends!
- Daily noon meditation on the Waking Up app (free 30 day trial) with a group of tanguero friends (h/t to Avik and Robin) – you can create a group on the app to facilitate regular meditation.
- Daily writing prompts as a group!
- Learning fun choreography virtually (yesterday we worked on Ciara’s Level Up)
- Cook new recipes!
- Jazz at Lincoln Center free videos – Jazz at Lincoln Center YouTube channel
- Nightly MET opera streams Metropolitan Opera | Nightly Met Opera Streams
- David Zwirner virtual viewing rooms Viewing Room | David Zwirner
- WNYC and WQXR’s The Greene Space streaming concerts Home | The Greene Space
- Art Basel virtual viewing rooms Viewing Rooms
- Dia: Art foundation’s digital archives Watch & Listen | Dia: Art Foundation archives
- Jack Mitchell photography archives of the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater Collection Jack Mitchell Photography of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Collection – contents
- Alex Ross curates a blog of streaming arts: Alex Ross: The Rest Is Noise: COVID-19 live streams
- 92Y’s watch live series The Archives – 92Y, New York
- Stars in The House- Actors Fund hosts Broadway singers. They are doing livestream performances and interviews daily. Stars In The House #7: Keala Settle and friends on YouTube
- Yo Yo Ma posts a daily Song of Comfort on his Instagram, @yoyoma
Free Exercise / workout offers
- Strength Lengthen Tone- @sltnyc channel on instagram
- Yoga With Adriene on her YouTube channel
- Free yoga from CorePower yoga
- Tracy Anderson method – 2 weeks free
- Peloton App – extension from 30 days to 90 day free promo (the app includes yoga meditation, stretching, and bodyweight classes that don’t require you to have the Peloton bike)
- Blogilates- Fitness & Workout Videos from Cassey Ho
- Ailey Extension- free online classes – Online Classes | Ailey Extension
- Nike Training Club app offers many options for working out remotely
- Lululemon offers meditation, workouts, suggestions on their Community Carries On page.
- Les Mills (of the famed BodyPump classes) is temporarily offering free at-home workout videos
- The Get Down pay-what-you-can dance party – The Get Down
Wellness / Mental Health
- Waking Up by Sam Harris – This app gives you meditation for 30 days free
- Headspace – offering a collection of free meditations through their app. US healthcare workers have free access to Headspace Plus through the end of 2020.
- Group chat apps to feel less lonely (Telegram App, Slack, etc.)
- Simple Habit offers a suite of free meditation lessons specifically for those living through coronavirus quarantine
- Calm App curates an offering of meditation recordings, free of charge during the uncertain times of COVID-19.
Addendum March 22, 2020:
From all of us at TED:
- TED is running a daily series of conversations with wise minds such as Bill Gates, Susan David, and Gary Liu.
- TED Ed at home is launching to support students, parents, and teachers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Sign up to stay updated.
- TED Circles allows you to watch TED Talks and engage with your friends 100% virtually!