i suppose it’s only appropriate after inviting insomnia to a raging morning cooking session.
i had a little bacon left over from the mochi sessions, and it’s a good thing bacon is amazing in literally anything.
i kind of feel like i never know what i’m doing when i cook (actually, when i do almost anything), but here’s my rendition. in my sleepy state, i added everything too quickly and in retrospect i was probably supposed to cook the protein for longer by itself first.
still, as luck would have it, it turned out to be pretty delicious. good to remember that life often does, even when you don’t follow instructions.
insomniac’s bacon fried cauliflower rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5-7 slices bacon, chopped (optional: other proteins such as chicken/beef/tofu)
- 1 head cauliflower, “riced” in blender or food processor
- 1-3 cups mixed veggies – i used peas and carrots (can be frozen)
- 2-3 medium eggs
- possible seasonings: soy sauce, chili oil, sriracha, fish sauce, white pepper, garlic powder
1. In a wok or large pan over medium heat, heat oil and then add bacon.
2. Cook bacon until almost crispy. You can add other protein at this point. Cook the protein to about halfway done.
3. Add the riced cauliflower and stir fry on high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add mixed vegetables, stir well.
4. Add seasonings. I used soy sauce, hot chili oil, fish sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper to taste.
5. Make little pockets for the eggs. Stir in the eggs.
6. Cook until all protein is done.
notes from the non-cook:
- based on other recipes, you can probably cover it and have it cook faster. i just gauged done-ness by checking the status of the chicken and bacon
- tastes delicious with sriracha on top
- also, you can put an egg on it. this is my usual go-to for everything
- this can be made totally paleo and gluten-free (careful what soy sauce you use- i used gluten-free tamari as a sub)
happy almost-may, hooray!
P.S. – coral is still the color of summer, apparently!